THE TONGUE IS A FIRE!
“The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.” (James 3:6, NIV)
(photo credit – believinggodtoday.com)
Throughout the Bible, the authors talk about the destruction caused by our tongues. Just by the way we speak to someone can completely destroy a relationship and turn a friend into an enemy or a client into a former client. We often use out tongues to talk behind another person’s back, to tear them down or to spread rumors about them. When we are upset, we sometimes use our tongues to curse the situation or to curse God for allowing bad things to happen to our loved ones or us.
James is absolutely right! When we talk down to others, when we gossip and spread rumors, and when we curse God or an unpleasant situation, our whole body is affected. Our blood pressure rises, we can’t think straight, we develop ulcers, and we become tense and defensive. Our life feels like it is on fire. The only winner in this situation is Satan. He has brought us one step closer to the fire of hell.
Our workplaces are filled with all types of people. It’s easy to get caught up in situations that are unhealthy and destructive. As Christians, we need to stay vigilant. It’s important that we study the Word of God so that we understand how to deal with Satan when he tempts us to use our tongues for evil purposes. We need to be leaders in the workplace and use our voices to build people up, not to tear them down.
As with most decisions in life, the way we speak to people is a choice! There are going to be many times when that choice is going to be extremely difficult, but you have the power of the Holy Spirit living within you. You have the power to control your tongue no matter what you are feeling inside!
“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.” (James 1:19-20, NIV)
(photo credit – dailygrace.blogspot.com)
Enjoy your day, “Working for Christ”!
- Lesson 3.4 – Taming the Tongue and Envy (freespiritbaby.wordpress.com)
- We Are All Too Silent (2): Tongues on Fire (follow4biblestudy.com)
- If You Can’t Say Something Nice Say Nothing At All! (promisebook.net)
- Anger … a lesson to self (believinginchristjesus.wordpress.com)
- New Year’s Resolve: Day 2! (1singlefocus.wordpress.com)
- Big mouth, big trouble, big consequences (inspirationalchristiansfortoday.com)
- I Am a Soldier in an Unseen War With an Unseen Enemy (part 3) (coyfeetalksitup.wordpress.com)
- If You Can’t Say Something Nice, Say Nothing At All! (vineoflife.net)